Wednesday, March 11, 2009

All Those Lovely Blogs

I've been blog-browsing this morning - just aimlessly looking, checking them out, clicking to follow here and there, posting a comment. I don't know what I'd do without them. When you lock yourself away, hermit-like, letting the phone click over to messages, rather than answering it, you need to make contact at some point, or go a bit mad, eventually.

My blogs rarely reflect what I had for dinner last night, or the books I've been reading (which is an odd one, I admit), or what I did on the weekend, or how I feel about relationships. That stuff ends up in my novels. I can't seem to lightly blog - I mean why would anyone really care? But looking around, seeing all of you happily chatting about this, that, and the other, blissfully unconcerned with how pertinent it is to the particular blog, I am a bit awed, really. It reminds me of schooldays when all the girls were chattering about girl-things, but I couldn't think of anything worth saying. They were all so good at it, while I was a bit - let's face it - boring. I was often too much inside my head, especially in my early teens. I got better at the lighter touch as I discovered boys. Suddenly clothes were important, shoes were powerful, hair was crucial - all those things I'd had no interest in earlier, and suddenly I was chit-chatting.

It all came home to me yesterday, how bottled up I've been, when a friend from down the road popped in with some art magazines, and a little box he wants decorated. I astonished myself by how much I talked! Poor man, sitting there, not even being offered a cup of coffee while I waffled on. I was conversation-starved. When he finally stood up to leave, I was a bit taken aback. Oh, no, I wasn't finished yet - I hadn't told him about...

Mind you, he did his share of talking too; he's not a wimpy man, and knows when to take the helm conversationally, but I certainly hogged a lot of it.

So it reminded me to take more time off, away from the novel, and just be myself. The whole world does not revolve around my desk and computer, after all, but it does sometimes feel like it. I've been doing quite a lot of writing, as you'll see by the word count of Strachan, but I'm going to forcibly take a break. I'm going to try, at least.


Dear Kylie, at EtsyVeg, interviewed me for their blog and it was featured today. Of course, it mainly concerns the art side of me, but I thought you might find it interesting. You can find it here.

4 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

I think writing is a necessary solitary activity. But when we allow it to get in the way of our real-life relationships, then we do need a break. :-)

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), I have an 8-5 job and I interact with co-workers every day. So by the time I get home, I'm talked out and just want to immerse myself in my writing.

I also think we all have our own blogging style and I've always loved yours. If you feel comfortable with it, I wouldn't change a thing!

Embee said...

I often feel the same way about my blog...why in the world would anyone care what I have to say? Especially about my mundane life?! But I find it therapeutic to write the blog, and it's nice to get the handful of comments. Like you said, it makes you feel like you're not all alone!

You're making good progress on your book! I've only managed to read the first 2 chapters so far...but I plan on keeping up! So far I've only got about half your word count going...I'm going to have to catch up!

Electra said...

Hi! I'm new to the blog scene, though I've been a procrastinating (and unpublished, as unfinished) novelist for twenty years. Ouch; I never before added up my years spent not finishing a novel! Maybe I need to dedicate a portion of my blog to making a commitment like you have with yours. I love your blog. I'm new to blogging, but I picked your blog for my 2nd Thursday Night Blog Review. Each week, I look in my reader and see what blog calls me loudest! My site is called Electra's Rough Draft ans I shall attempt an html link to http://electra-roughdraft.blogspot.com.

Thanks for inspiring me and happy Thursday Night!

Cheryl said...

I can definitely relate to that. As a writer and painter as well I'm always feeling the push-pull between those two disciplines. And when I took a year off to write, oh boy did I look forward to the weekend when I'd go out with friends. The week seemed to rush by without my seeing a single soul unless I went out to run errands.