Saturday, June 20, 2009

I Have An Agent!

Okay, guys, it's Saturday, not my usual day for blogging, but I had to tell you what happened this morning.

I opened an email from the British agent who had requested the full manuscript for Hafan Deg. Ho hum, I thought, as I saw the opening line,
"Thank you for your full submission which I have now had the opportunity to read in full."
This is where I expected to see "However, I regret that we are unable to offer..."

But then, what came next, well, it hit me in the stomach!
"I thoroughly enjoyed the whole story and couldn't put it down, which is always a good sign for me. Without making any guarantees as to publication, we would like to present your manuscript to a number of publishers for their consideration".
For all of you who have traveled this querying path with me, you know how I'm feeling right now. I thought I was Ms Cool about the rejections, but I sure as heck wasn't about an acceptance!

They've suggested some very minor alterations to the structure - I mean, minor: several scattered back story references that they'd like as one chapter being the biggest one. A few paragraph deletions here and there. Naturally (what else is new?), there are some minor typos (that Typo Imp even managed to get through to the agent!) but, with the amazing current technology, a clear, editorially-marked manuscript ready for me to take action on, I should have it done in no time. In the olden days, from whence I came, this would have taken weeks!

Then all they have to face is the long haul (as they put it) to publishers, but I'm not even going to think about that. My little orphan Hafan Deg has come in from the cold, at last.

Thanks to all of my blogging friends who have followed me this far. You were always there for me when I needed advice or reassurance.

And now I have another friend. He's my agent.

How cool are those words!

 

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats Fran!

I'm so pleased to hear that you got one.

Heather Wardell said...

Congrats! I hope he's everything you need and that all your books are NYT bestsellers!

Heather

Casey said...

Congrats again, Fran. I'm so, so excited for you! And glad to hear the changes are minor thus far.

Keep us up-to-date on your journey!

Fran said...

Thanks, all of you. It's so good to share this, but I know how much you need it too. It will happen, 33 queries from now, or 100...hang in!

Eric said...

Big time Congratz! Nice job. Let us know how it goes.

Belle said...

Congratulations, Fran! That is such wonderful, wonderful news!

Emily Cross said...

Congratulations Fran!! Best wishes for the future, can't wait to see it on the book shelf

kate said...

OMG! I KNEW it!! Perhaps London is the way to go if I ever finish my book. CONGRATS! I'll be the first one to pre-order on Amazon! -kate

cathryngrant said...

I've only recently started visiting your blog, so I haven't followed the journey, but your news if fantastic.

I really don't know how you managed to limit yourself to a single exclamation point. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Suzanne said...

Fantastic Fran! My eyes are welling up!

Melissa Marsh said...

Awesome, awesome news, Fran! I had to congratulate you again because it's such swell news!