Monday, December 8, 2008

Chapter Four Today

I just registered the copyright for Hafan Deg online. It seemed to me, putting these chapters out every couple of days, that the novel was a bit vulnerable, despite the little copyright symbol I added to the title. Anyway, it's done, and well worth the $50 Canadian to do it.

Browsing through agents today, and - what a surprise - my old agent, from days of yore, who worked with me on my ghost story, is still agenting! Thought I would surprise her with the new book. I mean she liked my writing, just found the ghost too unscarey. She might even re-think the original book now that so many similar romantic ghost stories have been produced. That would be very cool - two books ready for print...

I have completed the fine-tuning on eight chapters of Hafan Deg now, and have developed a strange neck injury, as a result. It only hurts (sharp, burning sensation) while I type, and is gone when I do something else. Hmm, this could be very detrimental to my writing. I have done so much typing this weekend, for hours and hours straight, that I guess I've just overworked something. It's good when I'm writing a poignant scene, because I share the pain on the page, but no good if I'm in a light-hearted bit of dialogue. Have adjusted the chair, the screen, no go. Will keep trying.

Is anyone going to make any comments about this book? I mean, that's one reason I'm doing it. Sharing it, nakedly, with you. I belong to another site where it's received a couple of comments. Basically, it's felt my first chapter is a bit long-winded, with too many characters to confuse the reader. I don't see it, but I intend to go back and give it a serious look. I know what that confusion feels like, because I have tried at least three times in my life to read Dr. Zhivago! But that was different; I have no Russian names in my book.

Enjoy Chapter Four.

5 comments:

Kit Courteney said...

I've seen your lovely pictures before but I hadn't realised you had this blog. I am very short on time at the mo as Christmas preparations are filling my 'me' time, but I am going to keep coming back.

I want to read your novel. It might be after Christmas once I get 'proper' time but I've now seen you are leaving links on the left and I intend to devour it.

I look forward to reading a LOT more from you, madam!

KC

Fran said...

Thanks Kim,

So happy to have you here. I know your blogs are always good for a laugh. What else is new when you're an Essex girl?

Fran said...

I meant KIT! Sorry, but Kim is my daughter, and the spelling came naturally to me..

Kit Courteney said...

Hey, you can call me anything you like... as long as it's not 'Oy, you!' care of my lovely husband!

Oh, us Essex girls know a good thing when we see it.

SERIOUSLY looking forward to reading your work in the new year. This blogging lark is so cool - the people one stumbles across who enhance their very being just from writing a few words of pants (mine, not yours!). It's wonderful!

Fran said...

Thanks, Kit,

Will be checking your work out too.

Let's actually do it, not just mean to.